Underwriter’s knot

by juno on December 20, 2010

Ms. Fix-It is at it again, working on a broken lamp this time, and in the process I learned how to tie an “underwriter’s knot.” I’ve scoured the web to learn why it might be called this, to no avail. My best guess is this: if you tie this knot, used in both light sockets and plugs (and maybe elsewhere?), it helps prevent the cord from being yanked out of whatever it’s feeding electricity to. In turn the underwriter is a lot happier about signing off on the safety of your electrical work, than she would be sans knot. Do any of you know why it’s called this?

Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: